Saturday, February 20, 2010

Show Yourself Friendly

I've been thinking a little bit lately about what being a good friend looks like. The verse in Proverbs says to have friends you must be friendly. I've always considered myself to be a friendly person, but as I've been thinking about it more, I don't think I'm as friendly as I should be. There have definitely been the times that I was focused on poeple I was around and was not friendly toward others who weren't in my "sight." That's not friendly.

I have a friend who really takes time to listen to people, always has a kind word when she's stopped by them, and people are drawn to her. I want to be more like that as a person. Kind, caring, getting out of myself more. I see God growing me toward that, but I'm definitely not where I want to be at all.

This is a good time for this, since I've changed churches, and am not really around my friends a lot right now. I haven't really made a lot of effort to make new friends yet, but I'm thinking it's time. Honestly, even when I was there, a lot of the people were more acquaintances than friends anyway. But I guess that's where friendship starts.

I think part of what has kept me from reaching out as much is a fear of rejection by people. But, I guess you have to take risks to get the rewards, huh. And God does want us to connect with people. And He doesn't want me to sit on the sidelines because I was afraid. I've always said that He brings people across my path at the right time, which He does, but that also can be an excuse to not reach out myself.

I guess, as always, it goes back to doing to others what you would want them to do to you. The way that I would want someone to be friendly to me, I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment