Monday, August 24, 2009

Welcome, Desmond

For a while, Jason has been saying that he wants a dog. I love dogs, but I had my cat, Deja, that I brought into the marriage. We didn't get a dog partly because of her, and partly because we were going to Disney a lot when we had our passes. Cats are easier to leave than dogs are. So then last year, when some coworkers at one of my schools found three kittens, Jason surprised me by telling me to bring one home. So I figured we had our 2 cats, and maybe one day, if we ever had a bigger place, we'd get a dog. But last week, through a combination of seeing my uncle with his dog, and talking to my cousin who has 5 dogs, Jason's desire for a dog returned. I told him we couldn't get a big dog (his favorite breed is the boxer) because our place is so small. He said a miniature schnauzer (my favorite breed) was fine. OK. We asked my cousin to look around for a rescue dog.


Well, on Friday, Jason decided to look on his own. He found an ad through tbo.com for a litter of 5 miniature schnauzer puppies. She didn't live too far, and was heading to Orlando to show them to someone that night, so we went right over. We found this cute little guy and loved him immediately! It took us a while to settle on a name. Since we named Benji after the Lost character, Benjamin Linus, we thought we wanted to do another Lost name. So we settled on Desmond. Haha!


Other than potty training, it has been a blast to have a dog again. The cats are handling it better than I figured they would. Deja stays away most of the time, and Benji hangs around, curious. Desmond seems to want to play with him, and Benji will, but he'll quickly bat his paw at Desmond if he gets too close for Benji's comfort.



On Saturday, my brother came over to help me with something on my computer. He had his two boys, so they had a good time playing with Desmond.















As you can see, Desmond loves Jason. He follows him everywhere. I guess now that Jason's class has started back up, he'll probably start following me like that, too.

One of the cutest things he does is when he sits down, but he can't hold himself still, or the floor is slick, so he slides back. I'm trying to catch that on video, because I know he won't be doing that long. If I get it, I'll post it on here.


No comments:

Post a Comment